ACTION FOR COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT
Empowering Individuals ● Developing Communities
Action for Community Development (AfCD) is a community-based organisation assisting socially excluded members of the community such as ethnic minorities, refugees and asylum seekers and unemployed people in general.
We give impartial, reliable and professional training, information, career advice and guidance.
AfCD was established as a response to the reports that people from the Black, African and Minority Ethnic (BAME) communities feel alienated from formal sources of advice, advocacy and training. AfCD is an initiative which provides important means of raising the profile and influence of the Black Asian Minority Ethnic residents.
There remain challenges to improve engagement and increased social inclusion. National statistics suggest that issues of inequality persist between different communities in the British society.
Our role is to break down these barriers bringing about economic justice and equal opportunities for the benefit of the community. We manage a resource centre in South London which offers comprehensive services to the BAME communities in particular, in the form of advice, information, casework, advocacy, counselling and training.
Our dedicated team reach out to people who have migrated to the UK from countries and also work with those settled here on low income. We support the transition from dependency to productive sustainable living.
Our team is made up of people with vast experience who have an unparalleled passion and enthusiasm for their work. We work with existing partners to pool expertise and maximise resources available for beneficial links which support our clients towards their pathways to resettlement, main stream education and employment.
- To provide information, advice & resettlement assistance to refugees and immigrants
- To provide training in the community
- To promote empowerment, self-advocacy and encourage refugees, disadvantage members of the society, black and ethnic minorities to contribute their skills to the benefit of the wider community
- To provide a forum for exchange of ideas, resource assistance and coordination with other community based organisations
- To carry out research and publications on issues of development and human rights
- To set up projects as well as collaborate with existing Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs) in the developing world whose works are geared toward the development of civil society and the reduction of poverty
AfCD was founded with the mission of promoting community building and social transformation in diverse and under resourced communities. We do this through specific and measurable approaches designed to enhance the capacity of individuals especially from the Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic or refugee groups. We support disadvantaged members of the community, helping them to define their own path to bring about social change.
Social transformation and community development can only occur in a society that is just, free from all forms of oppression and is culturally dynamic.
To meet the needs of these individuals we will work with our networking partners to provide information, advice and guidance, ample training resources and community engagement in developing responsible and active citizens.
Our highest endeavour is to develop free human beings who are able of themselves to impart purpose and direction to their lives.
Working from the principle that every community has strengths and resources that can be brought together to achieve the goals of its members, AfCD aims to contribute to the creation of a better future through these main projects:
- Docklands Training Centre (DTC)
- Community Health Project (CHP)
- Community Volunteering Project (CVP)
- Community Action Loan (CAL)
- International Partnership Program (IPP)