ACTION FOR COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT
Empowering Individuals ● Developing Communities
Action for Community Development (AfCD) is a community-based organisation assisting socially excluded members of the community such as ethnic minorities, refugees and asylum seekers and unemployed people in general.
We give impartial, reliable and professional training, information, career advice and guidance.
AfCD was established to respond to reports that Refugees and people from the Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) communities feel alienated from sources of advice, advocacy, training and statutory agencies provisions. There remain challenges to improve engagement and increased social inclusion. National statistics suggest that issues of inequality persist between different communities in British society and in many societies.
AfCD was set out to reduce these barriers, bringing about socio-economic justice and promote equal opportunities for the benefit of the wider community. We manage a resource centre in South London which offers comprehensive services to our beneficiaries. These are in the form of advice, information, casework, advocacy, counselling and training.
Our team of dedicated staff and volunteers reaches out to our beneficiaries who recently migrated to the United Kingdom and those already settled in the UK on a low income, disadvantaged or deprived. We support the transition from dependency to sustainable living. Our team consists of people with vast experience who have passion and enthusiasm for their work.
We also work with partners organisations and agencies to pool together expertise, maximise available resources to support our beneficiaries towards their goal of resettlement, skills acquisition, education and gainful employment.
- To provide training, information, career advice and guidance to Refugees, migrants and other disadvantaged members of the society.
- To promote empowerment, self-advocacy and build the capacity of Black, Asian and Ethnic Minorities (BAME) and other disadvantage members of the society to the benefit of the wider community.
- To provide a forum for the exchange of ideas, resource assistance and coordination with other community-based organisations.
- To carry out research and publications on issues of socio-economic development and human rights.
- To set up projects as well as collaborate with existing indigenous Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs) in the developing world whose works are geared toward the development of civil society and the reduction of poverty.
AfCD was founded with the mission to promote community building and social transformation in diverse and under-resourced communities. We do this through specific and measurable approaches designed to enhance the capacity of individuals. We support disadvantaged members of the community by helping them define their own path to bring about social change.
Social transformation and community development can only occur in a society free from all form of prejudices, deprivation and is culturally dynamic.
We work with our networking partners in providing information, advice and guidance to individuals to meet their needs. We also provide training, resources and community engagement in our effort to develop responsible and active citizens.
“Our highest endeavour is to develop free human beings who are able of themselves to impart purpose and direction to their lives”
Working on the principle that every person has strengths and resources that can be brought together to achieve the goals of their communities, AfCD strives to build the capacity and empower individuals through but not exclusive the following projects:
- Deptford Training Centre (DTC
- Community Volunteering Project (CVP)
- Community Health Project (CHP)
- Capacity Building Training and Support (CBTS)
- Community Legal Centre (CLC)