Responsible to: Director
Salary: Free-Share (commission) arrangement
Type of Contract: Full-time or part-time
Location: AfCD, Deptford Bridge London SE8
About: Community Legal Centre (CLC)
CLC was established over 18 years ago as a legal advice project of Action for Community Development (AfCD), to provide legal advice and campaign for better rights for those who were disadvantaged in society. Over the years, we have achieved some major successes. Our advice service grew up alongside our campaigning work, to help migrants and disadvantaged members of the British Society understand and secure their rights.
We believe that access to free and affordable legal advice and representation is a fundamental right that should not be denied to the less privileged.
We see the person and their potential first and tackle the problems they bring to us in that context. To assist us in reaching our aim to improve the health, wellbeing and resilience of clients, we continue to develop a range of complementary services including financial inclusion, work to tackle fuel poverty and our mentoring and befriending service.
Over the last 18 years, we have supported hundreds of clients with acute legal advice needs, and our influence is seen in policy changes. In turn, our high standards are driven by ongoing review and improvement based on listening and learning from our beneficiaries, and the direct experience of our clients and our staff who manage their cases.
CLC aims to be an organisation where people come before profits. This means that targets are a means to an end, the continuation of our ability to provide a high-quality, holistic advice service, and not an end in themselves. We are an organisation where a good work/life balance is positively encouraged.
You will be joining a team of legal advisers with associated support staff. CLC provides a supportive, friendly and collaborative working environment.
Main Purpose and Scope of the Job
We are seeking a Consultant Solicitor to join our small, friendly team.
The post holder will have a valid practising certificate (or be entitled to apply to the SRA for one). You will be required to support CLC-acquired Specialist Quality Marks, Casework standards etc.
Duties and Key Responsibilities
Will include but are not limited to:
- Initial assessment of the client
- Interviewing clients to take instructions and carrying out all follow-up casework
- Advising clients to take on the law and legal issues relating to their case
- Drafting documents, letters and agreements tailored to the client’s individual needs
- Researching and analysing documents and case law to ensure the accuracy of advice and procedure
- Negotiating on the client’s behalf
- Acting on behalf of clients in disputes and representing them in court, if necessary
- Officially instructing barristers or specialist advocates to appear in court for the client in complex disputes
- Instructing experts
- Preparing papers for court
- Team working
- Supervising and delegating work to support staff and volunteers as appropriate
- Checking all documentation prior to signing and implementing
- Administrative duties, e.g. updating case management records so that charges for work can be calculated billing completed and statistical information collated
- Taking referrals from other firms of solicitors and advice agencies
- Billing files promptly at the conclusion of each case
- Contributing to the development of CLC and the promotion of CLC’s potential clients, external partners and existing and potential funders
- Be flexible within the board remit of the post and carry out other duties that may arise, develop or be assigned
The post is self-supporting
You may also be required to contribute to CLC’s Public Legal Education training in renters’ rights. You will be proactive in keeping up to date with developments in the law and practice and complying with the CLC CPD requirements. CLC is an equal-opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We encourage qualified candidates from a wide array of backgrounds to apply because we know that it’s the differences in our people that make the difference to our performance.
This job description does not form part of your contract of employment and can be amended from time to time as the needs of the organisation require.
We are looking for an enthusiastic generalist legal adviser to join a dedicated team who are all passionate about social justice.
If you believe in our values and vision, come on board and help create a more equal and just society. Our staff work with us because they believe in the core values and mission of the organisation and our commitment to justice and equality. We’re a small organisation with a big voice. This is not just a job; it is a vocation.
You will have, a commitment to excellent client care and have great organisational skills and be able to work with minimal supervision, meeting tight deadlines and maintaining high levels of accuracy. You will be able to contribute to the growth and development of legal advice for CLC.
If you’d like to talk to Joseph Oladosu, the Director of AfCD & CLC, please call 02086922277 book a telephone appointment.
How to Apply
- Please fill out the application form below
- Action for Community Development is an equal-opportunity employer and invites applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply. Please complete AfCD’s Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form
We reserve the right to close this vacancy when we are in receipt of sufficient applications. Should you wish to apply for this post you are advised to complete and submit your application form as soon as possible.