Infrastructure and Development Officer
Responsible to: Director
Salary: £25k per year, inclusive of London Weighting
Type of Contract: Fixed term for 2 years, Full-time
Hours: 35 hours per week; flexible
Location: AfCD, Deptford Bridge London SE8
Who are we?
Action for Community Development (AfCD) is a capacity building organisation with a vision to build a stronger and more inclusive civil society to meet the needs of Lewisham BME (L-BME) and other disadvantaged communities by providing Capacity Building Training, providing infrastructure support for the voluntary and community and social enterprise (VCSE) sector, campaigning on topical issues and policy and collaborating in groundbreaking research.
We are an infrastructure organisation looking to expand our teams over the coming months.
AfCD is recruiting for an Infrastructure and Development Officer who will effectively manage outreach and consultation with L-BME organisations across Lewisham. We are looking for a proactive, motivated and outgoing person to join our Infrastructure and Development Team.
You will be passionate about social justice and addressing inequalities, can assess community needs and deliver infrastructure support addressing under-funding, and help to build sustainability and resilience in L-BME groups as well as help groups develop opportunities for greater impact.
- Organise and deliver outreach to reach and engage L-BME organisations and be informed by them on needs and issues.
- Organise roadshows and other events to engage and consult with L-BME organisations on particular issues and themes that emerge from outreach and consultation.
- Contribute to the development of learning, advice, support and resources for L-BME organisations.
- Liaise with external agencies and service providers to help broker increased inclusion of L-BME organisations.
- Collaborate, inform and involve, as relevant, L-BME organisations to aid the development of this work.
- Produce reports for AfCD and funders on the impact and value of the outreach and development work.
- Contribute to dissemination of the contribution of the L-BME sector to increase external value and respect of its work and impact.
Education and Experience
- Knowledge of the issues and barriers faced by L-BME organisations and community groups in general
- Knowledge of individual L-BME organisational development needs and ability to add to this through consultation
- Knowledge of and commitment to the principles of equality and diversity
- Ability to analyse, synthesise and communicate complex issues in a clear manner
- Ability to plan and deliver training sessions
- Ability to aid capacity building and resilience by developing tools and templates suitable for groups at different stages of development
- Experience in roles involving stakeholder engagement and partnership building
- Experience of relevant infrastructure or development work (desirable)
- Experience of project and budget management (desirable)
- Knowledge of charity law and guidance (desirable)
- Ability to work with screening groups and provide reports
- Self-motivated and able to use initiative
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team setting
- Proactive and responsive
- Strong project management skills with ability to manage diverse tasks and priorities with attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent interpersonal skills combined with an ability to cultivate positive relationships
- Empathetic, tactful; able to relate to people and organisations of all backgrounds and with different needs while keeping to professional boundaries
- Solid communication skills, both written and oral
What do we offer?
- Competitive salary
- 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Flexible working hours
- Support with professional development
Our Commitment to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
We value diversity and inclusion in our workplace and believe that a diverse workforce brings a wide range of perspectives, ideas, and experiences, which ultimately contributes to the success of our organisation. By embracing diversity and providing equal opportunities, we believe that we can build a stronger, more innovative, and more successful team. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to maintaining an inclusive workplace for all.
If you require any reasonable accommodations during the application or interview process due to a disability or any other reason, please inform us, and we will make every effort to accommodate your needs.
How to Apply
- Please fill out the application form below
- Action for Community Development is an equal-opportunity employer and invites applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply. Please complete AfCD’s Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form
Deadline: 23.59pm, 30th September 2023
We reserve the right to close this vacancy when we are in receipt of sufficient applications. Should you wish to apply for this post you are advised to complete and submit your application form as soon as possible.